Pages

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Random Commuter-ness


It's a crazy time to be in Boston nowadays (Go Sox!), and the daily ride in and out of the city gives me no lack of folks to interact with. Here's just a few of the most recent encounters.

- The first day of November means that it's time to buy a new monthly T-pass this morning! Unfortunately, ALL CREDIT CARD transactions are down. It's complete madness. The T-lady keeps screaming "The credit card system is down!" every 5 seconds, those of us not lucky enough to have 59 bucks in cash on us are frustrated. More people keep lining up at the vending machines to buy individual tickets. Finally, T-lady lets us all through for free. You're a good man, Charlie Brown. When I get to my destination, I easily buy one at a vending machine which is miraculously taking credit cards.

- I feel kinda bad about this one, but I passed a kid the oher day who was loitering outside the gate begging peopel for a dollar and seventy cents so he could get on the T. I told him I didn't have any (lie!) which just goes to show that my cold-hearted Boston-ness is coming out after less than a year in city.

- I got to use my first "What the hell!" exclamation at a car the other day when the little white light man CLEARLY indicated that I had the right to cross the street, but that didn't stop crazy minvan from barrelling through a red light to make an attempt on my life. The passenger lady just look at me through the window as I yelled "What the hell?!" at her. I felt better.

- Got some weird looks on the train when I stood next to a couple girls who were obviously first years in some other, more expensive, law school. They were reviewing the Uniform Commercial Code, Article 2, which I happen to have recently made great strides in learning. When they became stumped, I chimed in with the answer. They didn't appreciate it.

- Got stuck in the middle of the train without a pole to hold last night. Had to do the weird balance stance that prepares me for all of the red line's twist and turns. And God forbid anyone that saw me doing this give me a little room to manuever....but I managed.

No comments: