Pages

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Assumption makes me an Ass


I assume everyone in Boston is kind of an asshole, so I'm pleasantly surprised when they aren't. Last week, the morning weather that led me to wear a raincoat on top of my suit turned to muggy and disgusting in the afternoon, so my 15 minute walk home was spent with my suit jacket AND my rainjacket over my shoulder, lugging my laptop back, and generally cursing the world.

The next thing I know, some dude drives by in a truck honking his horn at me. Immediately, I go into bitch-mode, thinking "What do you want? I don't know you, stop honking at me!" and then, to my surprise and slight panic, he stops his truck a block or so up and actually gets out of his truck. I didn't know him at all, so I quickly review all of my self-defense training (which consists of watching that episode of Designing Women where they all go to self-defense class and scream "NOOOO" at an assailant). Instead of attacking me, the guy gets out, points behind me, and I turn around to see that my suit jacket has fallen off my shoulder about a half a block back, and he happened to be driving by when it happened and wanted to let me know. Well, don't I feel sheepish. I wave my thanks, collect it, and when I turn around, he's gone.

Perhaps living in Boston is turning me into a hard bitter New Englander, or maybe it's just the weather!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Living in Boston has given me road rage . . . I'm glad your story ended well, even though I was kinda wondering how your self defense tactics would play out in real life.