Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Delicious Fattoush

I should have made this prettier for picture purposes, but I was too hungry to wait

A couple of weeks ago, I ate all of this dish that my friend Paul ordered "for the table" at Pita House, a Lebanese place here in Alexandria.  It looked pretty easy, so I googled it up and made it!  This would be an amazing summer salad to take to a potluck or something.  A unique taste, but nothing so exotic that it's an acquired taste!  Thought I'd pass on the recipe, from allrecipes.com.

Any changes I made are in italics. 

Ingredients for Salad:
  • 2 cups shredded lettuce (romaine and/or iceberg)
  • 1 large or 2 small cucumbers, small dice
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (We used three)
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley, leaves only, no stems (I only had dried, so I used less of it)
  • 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, no stems
  • 1 bunch green onions, finely slices (didn't use at all, cause Jon hates them)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sumac (bought this online here
  • 2 pieces of pita bread toasted until golden brown, broken into pieces the size of a quarter (even faster? Smashed up pieces of pita chips)
Ingredients for Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of pepper
Directions:

In a small bowl mix all dressing ingredients well.
Put all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 to 1 cup dressing. (We added the dressing in little by little until we liked the distribution) Serve immediately.

I would recommend serving the smashed pita chips on the side, so if there are leftovers they aren't soggy the next day.  We didn't do this, so I'm looking forward to some soggy fattoush tomorrow, which will probably still be delicious.

UPDATE: Soggy fattoush was not as delicious, so put those crushed pita chips on the side to be added as you eat instead of in the main bowl! 

No comments: