Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Cassidy, Week 1!

No worries, I won't be posting a weekly update on Cassidy, but having two kids, two cats, a dog, a husband, and my dad all in the same townhouse for the first week of her life has been crowded, but fun!

The best thing is that my dad is great at keeping an eye on Avery.  He's recently learned to scream (Avery, not my dad - he already knows how to do that) so he likes to randomly yell things.  He also loves to go downstairs in the basement.  Since Jon and I are usually doing things upstairs, we hate dropping everything, especially when we are feeding Cassidy, to run downstairs so Avery can roll around on the guest bed or play with the camera tripod.  My dad has been a great sport in letting Avery drag him all over the house to look at things.  Seriously, those "we don't need help, we can do it ourselves" parents don't know what they are missing when they turn down assistance.

Me get into shenanigans?  No way!
Cassidy has been about as awesome as you could hope a newborn can be.  She eats every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and I'm pumping, so I'm doing that every 2 1/2 to 3 hours as well.  I can't pump enough to store for her, though, so I basically try to time pumps before she wakes up so there's something there for her to drink, although we are fine with formula.  She's super super super gassy.  I hate the word "fart" Ugh, I even hate typing it, but that's a new word in our house because it happens. All. The. Time.  She's not very ladylike.  She's lost 6 ounces since birth so we are working to put that back on by the time she goes to the doctor next week.

Hi there!
As for the interaction between the two, Avery couldn't care less, and, in fact doesn't want much to do with the baby at all.  He said "No, baby!" when Cassidy was crying once, and recognizes that she's here and that she has bottles "Baby bottle!" and a bed "Baby bed!" but when I ask if he wants to hold her or kiss her, he yells "NO!" and shies away.  Maybe he's in a "girls are gross" phase?  Alas, I don't have a picture of them together because of this.

So, that's how it's going so far.  We are much less tired, oddly, this time around then we were with Avery.  Maybe we expect to be tired now, so it doesn't bother us.  Also, we've moved Cassidy into her own room already, so her little fussy noises that don't really require us to get her up don't wake us up unnecessarily.

The big test will start next week with Jon going back to work.  My folks will be here so I'll be able to ease into things.  The next week we are on our own, but Avery will go back to day care.  Then, the ultimate final exam: both of us working and both kids in day care.  Yikes!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I totally agree about turning down offers of assistance. You want to pace with my gassy, fussy baby so I can sleep-sure! Would I like you to fix dinner, bring me a beverage, run the vacuum, walk the dog-absolutely! I cannot do it all, so by all means, pitch in. I have amazing in-laws, parents & friends I still can't thank enough for doing so much for us. I'm glad your family is involved :) Cassidy is adorable!

Lisa said...

Cassidy is adorable. You should definitely do Cassidy updates as well as Avery ones. Has his head healed up at all?

Alison Beach said...

Thanks Cynthia! And yes, Lisa, his head has healed up nicely. Of course, now he's got scrapes on his elbows and knees from falling down. Ah, life with a crazy boy!