Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Way to Lead



The military will show you two types of people:  those who can lead, and those who can't. And while every job doesn't require leadership skills, working for a leader beats working for a non-leader.  I'm fortunate to work for a leader.

Now, this isn't a sing-the-praises-of-my-boss post, because, let's face it, he's doing what everyone's supposed to be doing.  But rarely do people do what they are supposed to do, so I'm pleasantly surprised.  It's like getting good customer service at the DMV or the post office.  You're supposed to get good customer service, but I'm so used to NOT getting it that I'm surprised when I do.

But I digress.  Basically, I'm going to be a single mom next year because Jon is moving to Alabama, and my assignment manager can't, or won't, find me a job down there.  Without me even asking, my boss, a well-known guy in the JAG corps, started making calls trying to get me a job in Alabama.  When that fell through, I resigned myself to staying in my office an extra year, working the insane hours that I work now all while having two babies to take care of myself.  So what did my boss do?  He made some more calls and got me a job that is not only highly coveted, but has normal work hours.  Likely it's something I wouldn't normally get, but this guy vouched for me, and that really meant the world to me.

So next year, even though I'll be alone with the kids and it will be difficult, I'll have better hours, probably little to no early morning requirements, and still be doing great work for the JAG Corps.  Oh yeah, the job is clerking for the judges in the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.  Great stuff.


No comments: