Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I am a Runner, #2.

Yes, yes, I'm still running.  After a successful train-up and first 5K race, I decided to do my second!  I used the same training program, and got great results again, even though I skimped a bit on training.  As you can see...

So you can see from the chart that I initially missed the first two weeks of training, but that was because I started training only 6 weeks out from the 5K.  As for week 4 and 6....well, I got pretty sick one week, and flat out ran (or didn't run) out of time the other week.  Needless to say, I was worried I wouldn't do as well or better than the last race, although my times always got faster and faster.  Here's a side by side.

 
As you can see, even though I didn't stick to the training like I should have, I improved every time - yay!

As for the race, I picked a local 5K that benefited Carpenter's Shelter, which is a local homeless shelter here in the DC area.  It was a really good set up event, a 10K, 5K, and 1 mile fun run all in one.  We got sweet wick-away purple T-shirts, which was pretty nice.  It was brrrr cold, but I had recently purchased some new runnning gear.  I wore a long sleeved warm/moisture wick shirt, a t-shirt on top of that, long tight running pants, and shorts over that.  I wish I had worn thin gloves that would stop the wind from whipping my hands, but lesson learned. 

The route was straight out and back, but had a hill (in the form of an overpass) we had to go up and over.  I felt like I was running super super slow because of all the runners starting at the same time, the hill, and the windy cold.  As I hit the turnaround, I was in the top 50 or so to do so, so the route really cleared out as the 10K runners kept going and I got some distance from the 5K pack. 

As I was coming in, I couldn't remember if I ran the last one in 25:37 or 26:37.  Since my only goal was to beat the previous tiem, I was freaking out a bit, cause I knew I wasn't going to beat 25:37.  I just pushed as hard as I could, and, as you can see, ended up with a 26:03 which I discovered WAS faster than my last race.  Overall, I was 51st out of 335.  The top female finished at 21:11, so I have a ways to go, but it was a fun event, for a great cause, and I felt fantastic afterwards!!

I need to bring someone to take photos of me!
Next race is a Santa race in St. Louis with my family over the holidays!!

No comments: