Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dear Robber

Dear person who robbed my house this morning:
I want you to know what you took. You took a ring my grandmother gave me when I was in 3rd grade. It's worth no money at all, and I don't even think the stone is real, but I was going to give it to my grandchild. You too a ring that my other grandmother wore for as long as I knew her. She was my favorite and I was hers, and my mom gave me that ring after she died. I wore it for every test I took in law school to bring me luck and sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night to just make sure it was still in my ring box. You took a ring, a bracelet, and a necklace that my husband had made for me when he had to go to Afghanistan for 6 months last year. Those pieces reminded me that he was still thinking of me and doing nice things for me from so far away. And speaking of my husband, you took my engagement ring. The one that he didn't think I would want to keep, the one he gave me while I was on a two week vacation from Iraq after sending me on a whirlwind scavenger hunt through the city. You took my charm bracelet filled with charms that I have collected since the 4th grade. Every charm on that tells a chapter of my life story, and you've taken that away. My college class ring is gone, my high school class ring is gone. Rings that represent years of study and fun and finally getting a diploma. You took my new laptop computer. The one that I drag to law school every day so I can learn better, study harder, and succeed.

You came in my house, walked past my dog, and went up my stairs to paw through my jewelry. Are you going to pawn it? Are you going to give it to someone? Does it mean anything to you? Because it did to me. How did you know to take the things that meant the most? Our house is filled with crap I don't care about: TV, Video games, movies, our GPS was sitting in full view....but you take a bunch of jewelry that you can't get much money for, but that mean so much to me.

Shame on you.

No comments: