Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Two months old

In his swing with his head to the right, of course.
Avery is two months old now - wow, how time flies!  At his two month checkup, he weighed 11 pounds and 1 ounce and got two shots which he took like a champ (mostly).

Highlights of this month include him learning to smile!  I posted a video earlier of his newest trick, and it's so fun to get him to smile?  I can usually get him to smile by jiggling his chin, but every once in a while I'll just peek down at him and he'll be smiling at me.  The same day he started smiling, he also cried his first tear.  Newborns cry a lot, but they don't actually have tears fall, so even though he was upset, we were happy to see a new milestone.  However, our FAVORITE thing is that Avery is sleeping through the night!  It freaked me out at first in a "Holy shit, it's been 7 hours since he was awake!" kind of way, but he was just fine.  And it literally happened one night, then the next he reverted back to waking up in the middle of the night, and the night after that he slept all through the night again and hasn't looked back.  I'll admit that I'm a paranoid mom, and while I didn't love getting up in the middle of the night with him, it did provide me with some reassurance that he was ok.  Waiting until morning is tough.  The interesting thing is that he'll only sleep through the night sleeping in his car seat.  It's fine for him to sleep in there, but he has such a nice big crib and mattress that I wish he'd use them!  I'm trying to get him to nap in his crib and get used to it more.

He has this weird thing where he loves to look to the right all the time, but not so much to the left. In fact, he's starting to get a flat spot on the back of his head from keeping it the same way.  He can swivel his head really really far to the right, Exorcist style, but he doesn't like his left side.  My mother-in-law is a pediatrician and she recommended we do exercises (I call them necksercises) to turn his head to the left more and when he's sleeping in his car seat, we prop a sock or a rolled up T-shirt on the right side of his head to get him to look to the left or at least stay straight. 

Still doing typical baby stuff: Eat, cry, poop.  He enjoys his swing and likes looking at a painting we have hanging up behind a chair as well as at Jon and I when we hold him.  It's fun to see him do new things all the time!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

He's even more adorable than ever. I want to see him smile in real life.

Jenn said...

Def do the neck exercises. My nephew has the same thing and my sister in law has to manually turn his neck every time she lays him down which he hates and results in him crying hysterically. She told me to alternate which sides of the changing table I lay Emma on, when she gets here of course, as well as in the crib so that she is always forced to look both ways.

Avery is adorable!