Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

I am a runner #4

After a few 5Ks (here and here and here) last year, I decided it was time to up my game this fall and try my first 10K run (that's 6.2 miles).

Training: I stuck with my pal (not really my pal) Hal Higdon and his novice 10K running plan.  Check it out in more detail HERE.  This plan followed a general training schedule of long runs on Sundays, a short run once a week, and a medium run that increased over the 8 week plan once a week.  It also recommended strength and stretching and cross-training.

I did almost all of the running on the training plan, but basically none of the cross-training or strength exercises.  This wasn't a disastrous mistake for my 10K, but I'm sure I would have done better with it in, and I'll definitely work on following all of the plan next time.  My longest run was the Monday before the Saturday race, a 5.5 miler.  So, not terribly bad.

Location is also tough for me.  I don't live in a run-friendly area, and to run on base outside, I have to use the track if I want to use headphones.  I tended to just hit the gym and treadmill and knock out some mileage AND watch an episode of Homeland or House of Cards while I did it.  I should probably focus more on outside runs, though, at least for my weekly long runs.

Race:  For the race, I picked the Arundel Fire Department's 5K/10K rescue run in Crofton, Maryland.  This was a great charity to raise money for, and this race raised $10,000.  The equipment of the fire department has to be purchased, so they need a lot of cash (the county will maintain it, however).

It was a nice, cool, but humid day when I got there, and they had everything all set up nicely, including a bagpiper standing in a field.  I got my number (6!) and then saw a former paralegal of mine, so we chatted for a bit.  She was running the 5K, so I was on my own.



Avery had lost my iPod so I had to run with no music, which was not ideal.  The route was through an entire residential area and randomly double backed and crossed paths with the 5Kers.  I basically didn't stop for fear of getting lost and never finding my way out.  It was HILLY.  Ugh, lots of ups and downs.  I only walked for about 30 seconds, at a time when I just COULD NOT GO UP ANOTHER HILL.

I ended up running 57:59 which I wasn't excited or bummed about.  Since it's my first 10K, it's a good starting point for me.  I don't know what is a good/bad score, and I was almost dead in the middle of the entire pack of runners, time-wise (54th out of 100).  The 1st-3rd places in my age group were down in the high 40s, low 50s, so I have an idea of where I would like to get to.

To improve, I'm going to work more on the strength/cross training stuff, and, of course, keep running!

Anyway, another race, and a new distance in the books!  Until next time!!!

No comments: